Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Let's move on

Posted by Craig Westover | 1:15 PM |  

I just moved my column for Wednesday’s Pioneer Press putting my spin on closure in the Dean Johnson controversy. Given the outcome and the general “let’s move on” attitude from both sides of the aisle, I’m a little amazed the story lasted as long as it did.

In today’s Pioneer Press the ever-available, always quotable University of Minnesota professor Larry Jacobs says he believes Johnson’s apology will allow the “Justice-gate” controversy to die. The tale has simply played out.

Played out? Moving on now indicates that there wasn’t much reason to raise the issue in the first place. It says there was very little interest on the part of the public or the press in resolving the issue of judicial integrity -- which remains unresolved.

“I think this story is going to die from lack of oxygen,” said Jacobs. Even the profligate pundit can’t bring himself to ask, should it?